Communicating Effectively in a Virtual Setting
March 10 @ 11:30 am - 12:30 pm$10
Ryan West, MS, CFI, Owner, Executive Director EQualifyed, LLC
Presents “Communicating Effectively in a Virtual Setting”
Effective communication is the foundation upon which all “connected” relationships are built. Unfortunately, the abrupt shift from in-person, three dimensional meetings and seminars to online, two-dimensional engagements has presented unique challenges that disrupt the relationship and team-building process. Difficulty navigating the web platform, web camera issues, distractions, audio problems, and poor lighting conditions are now commonplace “disruptors” that create communication conflict. This 60-minute virtual training teaches participants the basics of effective communication in a virtual setting, while referencing a proven scientific model for building “connected” relationships on trust and respect.
Topics of Discussion:
- Webcam setup: the importance of angling, spacing, and lighting.
- Building “trust” and “respect” using the Warmth-Competence model.
- Stereotypes and the four quadrants of the W-C model: Opportunity to secure ‘members for life’
- Nonverbal communication: eye contact, facial expressions, posture, paralanguage, showing interest and engagement.
- Vocal communication: Clear, Controlled, and Composed; avoid question-inflection.
- Verbal communication: using both warm and competent words that support the mission and values of your organization.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Describe a professional webcam, office space, and lighting arrangement.
- Discuss the Warmth-Competence model and its application to relationship-building.
- Demonstrate “warm” and “competent” verbal, vocal, and nonverbal communications.
Ryan West has spent the past fourteen years applying his expertise of nonverbal communication and personality theories to the workplace, focusing on leadership development, team building, and customer service. He firmly believes that Emotional Intelligence (EQ) is the highway upon which all top-performing teams operate; communication is the vehicle, and a positive attitude the fuel.
Ryan holds a master’s degree in psychology with an industrial-organizational concentration, is certified to professionally practice the Myers-Briggs® Personality Inventory through Executive Strategies International, Inc., and maintains his Certified Forensic Interviewer® credential through the Center for Interviewing Standards and Assessment, specializing in body language interpretation. He also continues his work in the behavioral health field for Greenbriar, serving as the Director of Corporate Training and Virtual Events.